I love trying out new recipes and often follow a hunch I have for something mixing flavours and textures to suit.
The following recipe is my own “concoction”. It serves 6 people
You will need
6 chicken portions
3 lemon confit
ras el hanout
1.5 litres of chicken stock
2 medium onions
4 large tomatoes
1 can of chick peas
handful of dried apricots
3 tablespoons of tomato puree
- Brown the chicken portions in a large pan / tagine
- Add chopped garlic and ginger, season.
- Add the lemons to the chicken (if you don’t have confit available I boil them and then squeeze insides through a sieve)
- Add 3 desert spoons of Ras el Hanout spice stir and slowly add about 0.5 litre of stock, bring to boil.
- Add chopped onions and chopped tomatoes along with chick peas and another 0.5 litres of chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Check every now and again to make sure it is not sticking, add extra stock if necessary.
- After about an hour taste, season if required, at this point I always add an extra desert spoon of spice and tomato puree along with the extra stock.
- Simmer again – the longer the better. In total I cooked mine for about 2.5 hours.
About 10 minutes before serving add the apricots
Serve with either rice, pitta or potatoes.
We had a crisp white wine to accompany the soup – Carte Noire from Bérail Laragrde, Luc Sur Orbieu